Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Married


Well we are finally actually married, and I love it. I love that I don’t have to send Brett home every night, and he is there when I wake up in the morning. I feel so lucky to have such a special person in my life. I often wonder what I ever did to deserve such a person as Brett. Maybe I didn’t do anything at all, and Brett is just another way the lord is showing me that he loves me.
The days prior to the big event were very busy. I had to work half the week, and when I wasn’t working I was trying to get last minute things done, while at the same time trying to entertain guests.
While I was on my way to grandma’s house the night before the wedding, is when it really hit me…”I’m getting married in the morning” Was the thought that kept running through my head. It didn’t feel real up until that point. When I got to grandma’s house I walked into a cake disaster. Kjersten was trying to make a Fondant for my cake. It wasn’t working at all. So when Brett and I got there we were trying to help make the frosting for our own cake. It was entertaining. I also had a friend “Franklin” Stephen Franklin. One of the sailors I met on the navy base in Chicago was trying to come to the wedding. He also came to my homecoming from the mission. The poor guy had his Truck stolen and burned the night before he was going to come up. It was actually him that was calling me in the middle of my blessing.
I thought I would go home that night and crash. I didn’t leave Grandma’s house until almost 11pm. Then I had to wait for Bonnie to get home so she could put the curlers in my hair. I didn’t sleep at all though. The whole night I just lay in bed wondering when my alarm was going to go off so I could get up and get ready to go. Finally 6am came around. We quickly got ready and I went to Grandma’s house to have mom do my make up before we left. Out of the blue I thought, “I need to see if I have my temple recommend”. I thought sure I had moved it from my Temple bag into my purse. I think I was so frazzled that morning I wasn’t entirely sure what I was doing. It wasn’t in my purse or my Temple bag. I’m glad I thought to look for it so I didn’t drive all the way up from Orem to Draper to find I didn’t have it. We found it and then we were off.
We arrived at the Jordan River Temple a half hour early. The whole way up I was repeating in my head “I’m getting married today” over and over again. I brought myself to tears several times, just being overcome with joy. It really hit me though when Brett walked in the Temple with his parents and all his brothers and sisters. He walked in with my new family. I just cried when I hugged them all.
Spending that time in the Temple with Brett that day was one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. There were several times that I could not hold back the tears at all. Brett had asked me previously if I would get just a little emotional so he wouldn’t be the only one. I normally don’t show those kinds of emotions, so I teased and said I would poke myself in the eye so it would look like I was. There was no holding back my feelings that day though. I didn’t need to poke myself in the eye at all.
My favorite part was when the sealer asked us to kneel at the altar, and married us for time and all eternity. Whenever I look at our marriage certificate that says we are married for time and eternity, my body swells with emotions of joy and gratitude.
It was chilly in the morning when we got to the Temple, but after the ceremony was done and we came out of the temple, it was beautiful. I was very happy about that. I hate being cold. Just in case it was I had a winter Cape to wear with my dress for pictures. Turns out the only time I used it was when we first came out of the Temple.
We were late for the Brunch because of pictures. I guess we wanted to take a few more than we originally thought. By the time we finally arrived that the golden corral where we were having lunch, I think most everyone was done eating. It was fine with me though. When we got there Brett’s father (Arlo) gave a small speech welcoming everyone. We then had everyone introduce themselves. Most everyone left after introductions and speeches since they already ate. I did have one friend, Brynn, stay and talk for a while. It was nice because I hadn’t had much opportunity to talk to her since she got home from the mission. I grabbed a bite here and there between conversations.
By the time we left there we only had about a half hour to rest before we had to be dressed and back at the church for the reception.
The cultural hall where the reception was held looked more beautiful then I had imagined it when I was planning stuff with LeeAnn. I am so grateful for everyone who helped put it all together. I know how much work it can take from previous weddings I’ve helped with. Our colors were Green and Purple. Since we were married on St. Patrick’s Day, we also had a bit of a St. Patrick’s theme. The center pieces were wreaths of purple flowers with a glass vase and a candle in the middle. Around the wreaths were scattered little gold chocolate coins. We also had shamrocks here and there. For the food we had éclairs with little purple flowers on top, a chicken salad sandwich, an Andy’s mint, and 2 purple dinner mints, topped off with a green slushy drink. The only thing I got to taste at the reception was the drink. And of course the wedding cake, which was a green cake with purple flowers and white lace with hearts around the edges. I know it sounds weird, but it really was beautiful. To top it all off we had Rose playing beautiful piano music in the background. I don’t think she knows that I really noticed, but I really did.
The reception was a nonstop line. I loved seeing all my friends and family who came to congratulate us. We weren’t far into the night before we cut the cake. We had to since the cake was beginning to tip. I feel bad because out of peer pressure I smeared the cake all over his face. He was sweet to me though, and he gave me my piece nicely.
As the night grew later we decided it was time to throw the bouquet and get going before it got too late. I tried to just ask people to move the tables, but when I did they started cleaning them up. Sigh. I finally got some tables just moved. The girls that were left gathered up. Kelsie (Thomas’s girl friend) was trying to get me to throw it to her. I wasn’t looking to who I was throwing it to, but Kjersten caught it.
I think Sierra and Connie (2 of my new nieces) were very excited for me to leave since they had been trying to get me out side all night to see the car. The car wasn’t the worst I had seen. It was just wrapped in some saran wrap with cookies and silly string. Then there were some balloons inside and a whistle in the exhaust. I’m glad it wasn’t too much to clean up, since by this time I was pretty tired. We just ripped off all the stuff, took it to a quick car wash, then packed up our stuff and headed to the Aniversary inn where we stayed our first night.
I don’t think anyone at that moment could have broken my spirit that day. I was so happy. The weather was perfect, my flowers were beautiful, I had all our family there at the Temple, but most of all I had just been sealed to my best friend.

3 comments:

Davis Valley Classic said...

Hey! I like your blog and reading your wedding story! Sorry I didn't make it to you reception, my family said it was great though and that you looked beautiful! I have a blog too: mikekira.blogspot.com
Glad you're loving marriage!

The Bowes said...

about time you updated! haha. cool ready your story. Love you!

Peggy said...

Welcome to the family! We look forward to getting to know you better.